I've been roasting a couple of beetroot each week in my weekly veggie roast. I usually roast pumpkin, carrots, fennel and potatoes for the kids on a Sunday night. I love having left over roast veggies to snack on during the week. I've been adding a couple of beetroot to the roasting for the past few weeks. It's really easy, you just chop off the beetroot leaves, wrap in foil and put in a 180C oven (350F) for about an hour. I then leave them to cool and put them in the fridge. To peel, place plastic freezer bags on your hands and peel off the skin. No stained fingers. :)
I usually make beetroot dip out of them in the food processor with some tahini, spices and lemon juice.
Anyway, I was having lunch with some friends last week and one of the girls mentioned beetroot chocolate cake. Yum! That got me thinking... :)
My kids have loved trying the few different versions I've made this week. These are our favourites. They are sweet enough for me, but add a bit of extra honey if you feel it needs it.
Beetroot Chocolate Brownies.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
1 beetroot (roasted & cooled)
1 cup dried dates
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius (340F).
- Line 20 cm (8 inch) square baking pan with baking paper.
- Put dried dates into small bowl, cover with water and microwave for 2 minutes. Drain.
- Peel roasted beetroot, chop roughly and process in food processor with 3 eggs and drained dates.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process again until well blended.
- Pour mixture into lined baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes until just done.
- Cool in pan.
- Slice and serve.
- Freezes well. :)