This looks a little tricky, and it does involve a couple of steps but it's definitely worth it for a special cookie. :)
These are soft, moist and delicious!
Jam Pinwheel Cookies.
Prep time: 20 mins
Wait time: 2 hours
Cook time: 12-15 mins
Makes: around 26
3 cups almond flour
½ cup coconut flour
½ cup honey
½ cup coconut oil (melted in microwave)
½ teaspoon vanilla powder
about 1/2 cup jam (See my simple recipe here.)
- In a small bowl mix together melted coconut oil, honey and egg.
- In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, coconut flour and vanilla powder.
- Pour wet mix into dry mix and combine well.
- Form dough into an oval shape, wrap in cling film and put in the fridge or freezer for an hour to chill.
- When chilled, roll dough between two pieces of baking paper until it is rectangular in shape.
- (If you want all of your cookies the same size, you will need to trim the edges of your rectangle so they are all even. If you don't, the end cookies will be smaller than the middle ones. I didn't mind, we think the mini ones are cute.)
- When dough is about 1/2 cm thick (1/4 inch), spread with jam with back of spoon.
- (Don't be tempted to add too much jam, it just squeezes out as you roll!)
- Using the baking paper as a guide, carefully roll the dough, smoothing as you go.
- Roll the log into the baking paper and put in the fridge/freezer for about an hour to firm up. This makes cutting much easier and gives a better shape.
- After an hour, slice the roll into 1/2cm (1/4 inch) slices and lay on baking paper on oven trays.
- Cook in a 160 degree Celsius (320F) oven for 12-15 minutes until lightly brown.
- Cool on trays.
- They are soft when taken out of the oven, but will firm up when cool.
- Have you seen my new social media widget? You can now easily subscribe for updates via email, Facebook, Twitter or Google +. :)