Sometimes, though, the wildlife isn't so cute. I took a trip down to the backyard the other day to stock up on lemons from our tree, only to discover that our small orange tree had been stripped of it's seven oranges that I'd been looking forward to eating. :( Note to self: Pick oranges before the end of Winter next year. :) LOL. I'm sure our beautiful possums were to blame. Hope they enjoyed them!
Hope you like these Bliss Balls; I like them even more than my original recipe.
Orange Bliss Balls.
Prep time: 30 mins
Makes: about 75
3 cups of nuts (I used a cup each of almonds, cashews and hazelnuts)
1 cup dried dates
1 cup dried figs
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup cacao butter
juice and zest of 1 orange (about 1/2 cup juice)
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder (optional)
1/2 cup coconut for rolling
- Roast nuts on a baking tray on baking paper at 180 degrees Celsius (350F) for 12-15 mins until golden brown.
- While the nuts are baking, put the dried fruits, coconut oil, cacao butter and orange juice into a microwave bowl and microwave until melted.
- When nuts are brown, process in the food processor until very fine.
- Add the dried fruit, juice and oils mix and process until well combined.
- Add the zest of your orange and the ginger powder if using. Add more zest and ginger to taste if you like a stronger flavour. The amounts given give a mild orange and barely there ginger taste.
- Roll mixture into balls and then roll in desiccated coconut.
- Store in the fridge or freezer.
Have you seen my new social media widget? You can now easily subscribe for updates via email, Facebook, Twitter or Google +. :)