Anyway, our local Coles supermarket has just started stocking a range of Paleo friendly fruit and nut bars. Fantastic if you're traveling, have hungry kids or just want a change.
My daughter, Daisy, came home with a variety of these bars the other day and of course I thought,
'I wonder if I could make those...?' :) So I'm giving some of them a try.
Aussies, have you heard about the online store, www.mypaleo.com.au? I ordered some of their coconut, cacao butter and dried fruit recently (no preservatives) and they put a flier for 'Paleo Bars' in with my order.
Now, I haven't tried these Paleo Bars, but since they listed the ingredients I thought I'd give them a whirl.
After a couple of tries, this is what I came up with.
Hope you love them, I think they're awesome! :)
2 cups mixed nuts (eg. cashews, macadamias, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts)
1 cup dates (medjool or dried)
1/4 cup cacao powder
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- Into the processor, put the dates, either option 1 or 2 below:
- If using dried dates, put them in a microwave bowl with 1/2 cup hot water and microwave for 3 minutes. Drain off the excess water before adding to the nuts.
- If using medjool dates, take out the pits
- Also add the cacao powder and coconut oil.
- Process until it forms a sticky, fudgey dough. (If using medjool dates, add a Tablespoon of water if needed.
- Line a square 20cm (8 inch) pan with baking paper.Spread mixture evenly into the pan and place into the fridge to set. (Put in the freezer if in a hurry.)
- When set, cut into pieces and enjoy.
- Store in the fridge.