Anyway, not just because they are orange, I think apricots are my favourite summer fruit. I love the tangy sweetness.
My grandparents had a wonderful old apricot tree in their front yard. I have lovely memories of climbing it as a child and eating the amazing apricots. So as soon as I had the chance, I planted an apricot tree in my backyard. :)
Fresh Apricot Slice.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Makes 16 pieces.
Ingredients: For the pastry:
3 cups almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
4 Tablespoons coconut oil
6 Tablespoons honey
10 medium sized ripe apricots
1/4 cup water
- Chop apricots in half, removing the seed.
- Place in a medium sized saucepan with the 1/4 cup water. Heat on low until apricots are soft (about 15 mins). Stir regularly and keep reducing the heat. Break up the apricots with a spoon as they cook.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius (320F).
- In a bowl, combine flours, breaking up any lumps.
- Melt coconut oil and honey in the microwave, then add to flours.
- Mix in eggs.
- Divide mixture in half.
- Press half of mixture into a 20 cm (8 inch) square pan lined with baking paper.
- Bake in oven for 5 minutes.
- Take out of oven and spread with the apricot mixture.
- Roll the remaining half of the pastry between two pieces of baking paper.
- Put the pastry on top of the fruit mixture.
- Prick with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for a further 15 mins.
- Cool in the pan and slice when cold. :)
Have you stopped by my Facebook page and said 'Hi'? I'd love to hear from you. :)