One thing that's really changed for me since going SCD/Paleo, is how I see fats. I was raised in the 'Fat makes you fat' era so I've always been hesitant to eat them. I've found, though, that it's the carbs I need to watch. Fats are good for you, make your skin and hair glow and make food taste AMAZING.
Sorry kids, no more of that store bought stuff with sugar in it, Mamma will make it for you from now on. :)
Makes 1 cup
1 egg (at room temperature)
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup light olive oil
- Make sure your egg is at room temperature (actually mine wasn't and it still worked, but maybe it was beginner's luck.)
- Put the egg, vinegar, salt and dry mustard into a food processor or blender.
- Process for about a minute to thoroughly combine, tipping up the processor if you need to. :)
- With the processor still running, SLOWLY add the oil, drop by drop, through the space in the top of the machine.
- After they've been incorporated, you can slowly add the rest of the oil as the machine runs, in a slow and steady stream. (Mixture will stay runny until almost the end.)
- After you've added all the oil, it will now look thick and creamy like mayonnaise. Yay!
- Taste, then add extra salt if you like.
- Eat with everything. :)
- Store in a jar in the fridge for one week.
Make sure you use the light olive oil, other olive oils are too strong in flavour for mayonnaise.
You can substitute lemon or lime juice for the apple cider vinegar, if you like.
This is just the basic mayonnaise recipe. I'm going to have lots of fun making different variations. Stay tuned! :)
Let me know on Facebookif you give this a go! xx Deb