Since I've had to change what I eat, the first couple of times we did this shopping trip on holidays were difficult. I was sad I couldn't join in the chocolate feast or eat the Maxibon ice creams that were our tradition. Now that it's been over two years on SCD, I think I'm used to it. I love seeing their pleasure at trying some different foods and I find some treats that I can eat. I've bought exotic fruits that I don't buy at home and I always treat myself to some fresh dates and nut butter.
This year we went to Merimbula for our summer holiday. We had an awesome time doing lots of active things like kayaking, golfing, bike riding and swimming. So a treat at the end of the day was very well deserved! I was so pleased to find containers of Date Rolls in the supermarket. I think we ate three packs (or was it four?) in the seven days we were there. Since the ingredients on the pack were only dates and coconut I thought I'd give them a try....
These are lots of fun to make. A great one for little kids to help with! And fabulous for the lunch box. :)
Prep time: 15 mins
Makes: about 24
450g (1lb) Medjool Dates
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup flaked almonds
- Spread the flaked almonds into a fry pan and cook over a medium/low heat until lightly browned.
- Chop the browned almonds in a food processor.
- Put the dates into the food processor and process until they form a ball.
- Divide the date ball in half.
- Put half the date mixture onto a large piece of baking paper.
- Using your hands and the paper, form the date mixture into a long sausage. Lots of squeezing and rolling!
- Add the chopped toasted almonds to the paper and roll to coat.
- Repeat for the second ball of date mixture, rolling in coconut at the end.
- Chop each roll into pieces.
- Store in the fridge or freezer. :)