Daughter, Daisy, was thrilled with her freshly ground peanut butter and also found an amazing coconut milk ice cream. Yum!
I couldn't believe that I found the chunky Tahini Cookies I used to buy 20 years ago from our local Health Food Store. I haven't seen them for ages. So, being me, I grabbed my phone, jotted down the ingredients and started trying to recreate them as soon as we got home. After many different batches, here they are! I've got to tell you, all the teenagers that pass through my kitchen have agreed that these are AMAZING! Really good! (Yes, these are normal teenagers who eat sugar and grains every day, but they all loved these cookies.) Very pleased cook here! :)
Do you like tahini? Everyone in my house knows it's one of my favourite, must have in the house at all times, foods. I LOVE it! I drizzle it over my Everyday Lunch Salad every day.
I just eat it because I love the taste of it, but I've Googled and found out it is high in calcium and protein and contains healthy omega 3 & 6. Yay!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10-12 mins
Makes 30 cookies.
1 x 385gram jar of hulled tahini (13.5 ounces)
1/2 cup honey
1 cup walnuts
1 cup dried dates
2 cups desiccated or shredded coconut
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius (300F)
- In a bowl, mix together the tahini, honey and egg.
- Roughly chop the walnuts (I use a food processor)
- Add the walnuts to the tahini mixture.
- Put the dried dates and coconut into the food processor and chop until the dates are fine.
- Add the date and coconut mixture as well as the spices to the tahini mixture and mix it all up well.
- Scoop tablespoons of the mixture, form into a rough ball shape and flatten with palm of hand onto a baking tray covered in baking paper.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
I like these cookies baked until they are starting to brown on the bottom. Keep an eye on them, though, they brown quickly.
I store mine in the freezer.
Variation: try dried apricots instead of the dates. :)
Have you come and said 'Hi!' on Facebook yet?